Monday, October 10, 2005

Spirit of 1776

Readers, I must apologize for not posting for a while. I know how much my sage words must move the very soul of this great Nation, but I've been busy. And in a most selfish manner.

A few weeks ago I took my small family over to Barnes & Noble to pick up some reading material. If I know what I'm looking for, I'll start with smaller book stores. But if I'm just in a browsing mood, B&N has the stacks to surf through. My first choice was a paperback on the very earliest beginnings of Christianity and the Catholic Church. But after a 20 page introduction that forced me to re-evaluate my entire moral foundation - twice - I decided to set that aside for now. I picked up my second choice.

"1776" By David McCullough.


And I must say, selfishly, I could barely put it down. My nose was in that book, every spare minute I could steal. I thought I knew a lot about history, and at least some history about the formation of my own country. Man, was I wrong. This piece of literature is fantastic. In the course of full disclosure, I have never met Mr. McCullogh, I receive no compensation if any one purchases this book, as a matter of fact I had to pay for my own copy. So be sure, I'm not selling anything here. Instead I'm giving away advice. And that advice, along with a quarter would have bought you the most disgusting, horrid, cup of coffee that a vending machine ever dispensed, several years ago. Trust me on that one!

So, feeling guilty about not writing, I'm spilling what's on my mind. And right now it's the year 1776. An amazing and not very pretty tale. Near the beginning of the book, General George Washington, commander of the Continental Army, is poised to lay siege to the colony of Boston. Near the end, his army is in tatters, starving, fleeing for their lives towards Trenton. I'm not being exact, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may be interested. In between, there are facts, figures, diaries, statements, letters, first-hand accounts, second-hand accounts, maps, reproductions of paintings. And its all wrapped up prose that feels more like an action adventure novel than an historical accounting.

Many of the big names of the Founding Fathers are there, along with an amazing supporting cast who deserve much better from history than they have received. Captain James Monroe, Lt. Aaron Burr, the 19 year old Captain of the New York Artillery - Alexander Hamilton. Captain Nathan Hale, captured spying for the rebels, hanged in New York. Thomas Jefferson is mentioned briefly, mostly I believe because the focus is on the Continental Army and its victories and failures. Correspondences with John Adams, John Hancock, letters to home from privates. There's the tale of a twenty-five year old Boston book seller, one Henry Knox, who came up with a hair-brained scheme to drag the cannons, captured at Fort Ticonderoga the year before, down to Boston, in the middle of winter. There's the story of one Nathan Greene who learned everything he knew about the art of war from books, but nonetheless was ready to lay down his life for the liberty of his countrymen. And achieves the rank of General in the process. There is a supporting cast of thousands, each with their own tale.

The star of this epic book is, as it should be, General George Washington. By page 48, Washington had become a more real life, flesh and blood person, than he ever was in high-school history class. I learned about the real man, not the stoic figure staring back from portraits and dollar bills. A real, live person, both exemplary and with faults. Let me tell you, the Battle of Trenton is a heck of lot more than Washington throwing a silver dollar across the Delaware river. After what he attempted in that fight, he probably should have had his head examined. I would love to go for another dozen paragraphs on this topic, but again, I don't want to be a spoiler. Just let me say this, he truly was the Father of America. No doubt about it in my mind.

And there is a mountain of information on the British, the Royal Army, the Royal Navy, and even King George himself. It postulates something that should have been obvious to even me; the British, the Loyalists and the Rebels were all fighting for exactly the same thing. They all believed America was rightly theirs, and wanted to secure it. That was a point that had somehow escaped 12 different history teachers I had. The Loyalists wanted the British to just put this "rabble" down and secure the land for the loyal subjects of the Crown. The British just wanted to put this sordid little affair down and get back to Royal Society. And the rebels who envisioned a nation built on the foundations of liberty and justice for all.

Another gem of this book is watching Colonial America unfold before your eyes. Brooklyn Heights, at the time, was several houses, a few farms, an estate or two, and an old Dutch Church. The only road in town was the Jamaica Road running down to the ferry. If I'm not mistaken, Jamaica Boulevard is one of the busiest and most dangerous roads (to pedestrians) in New York City.

All I can say is, after reading this book, I have a much greater appreciation for this nation I have been so blessed to be born into. To read vivid, first-hand accounts of these leaders, in the face of complete and utter destruction, bullets and cannon balls whizzing past, carrying on for the cause of liberty, it's just a treat that I can hardly describe. I highly suggest it to anyone who's interested in the birth of Democracy in this world. I don't think you will be disappointed.

No comments: